Having passion and energy is very important in any job and particularly during very busy periods. Use the resilience chat cards (passion) to support you. If you find yourself feeling negative or have trouble regulating your emotions, then take a look at this step.
There is no passion to be found playing small, in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.”Nelson Mandela
Do you find yourself in any of these situations?
“I’m feeling really negative today.”
“I’m exhausted and have no energy for the day ahead.”
“I am snapping at my colleagues and / or students.”
“My students are making me really angry, they’re so demanding today!”
“I feel unfairly put upon – why does my line manager ask more of me than everyone else?”
“I’m worried that I’m not hitting my targets.”
“I can’t stop worrying about a personal issue.”
If so these are actions you can take
- Be aware of where you are on the grid above: If you are on the left then recognise your triggers. How can you take time to recuperate and move to the right?
- Do more of what you enjoy: work with your manager and / or team to make sure there is enough of what you enjoy in your daily tasks. If there isn’t then what can you add?
- Talk to your manager/ team: if you recognise you’re on the negative side of the energy grid. Sharing how you feel with your support network can help you to work through it.
- Seek clarity: ask your manager for clarification on what is expected of you.
- Be kind to yourself: if you’re feeling negative, spend a few minutes thinking about what will help you feel better and find time to build that into your day.
If you have any questions or would like to find out more about building resilience or improving staff wellbeing, please get in touch.